The Soil Science Society of Nigeria (SSSN) submitted a Bill for an Act to establish the Nigerian Institute of Soil Science which has scaled through the second reading and is now awaiting Public Hearing in the Senate.
The Society is by this letter requesting you to kindly prepare a memorandum in support of the Bill’s establishment. This memorandum will be presented and discussed at the Senate Public Hearing scheduled for anytime within the next 10 to 14 days.
The document should be addressed to
Senate Committee on Agriculture and Rural Development,
National Assembly Complex
3 Arms Zone,
3 Arms Zone,
It will be most appreciated if an electronic copy of your memorandum is forwarded to me via firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com on or before the 10th of November, 2014.
The functions of the institute, when established, are as follows:
· Prescribe and regulate the standards of academic qualification and practical skills of Soil science in Tertiary Institutions in Nigeria.
· Regulate the practice of the profession for Soil Scientists;
· Establish, update and maintain a register of Soil Science Practitioners in Nigeria.
· Ensure that Soil Science Practitioners in Nigeria uphold the ethics of the profession and guarantee the sustainability of high quality soil;
· Advance the education, research and extension, science, technology and art of Soil Science and Crop production;
· Promote Soil quality Management
· Advise and encourage the enactment and the enforcement of laws that will guarantee efficient production and consistent supply of high quality food to Nigerians.
· Your input will go a long way in contributing to the final passing of our bill. Please accept my apologies for mounting this pressure on you.
A copy of the bill is attached as a working document.